There are so many places to go and things to do in South Devon
that we can only suggest some of the possibilities here.
This is prime walking territory and there are some stunning
walks along stretches of the coast path, and more still, in the vast wild
spaces of Dartmoor National Park. The Nature Reserve at Slapton is an
interesting place for bird and nature lovers. There are also wildlife cruises
on the Dart Estuary or out to sea. There are many beaches to explore, each with
its own individual character from the long open stretch of Slapton Sands to the
secret sandy cove and rock pools at Lannacombe. And almost everywhere you go
you will discover character inns, restaurants and cream tea stop-offs to tempt
On rainy days you may like to visit local craft centres such as
Chine Blue Pottery in Totnes, The Cider Press Centre at Dartington (with its craft and
gift shops and Restaurants), or, slightly further afield. The Riverside
Mill at Bovey Tracey which often has interesting craft exhibitions. There is an
Arts Cinema at Dartington and there are often interesting evening theatre and
musical performances in and around the College of Performing Arts. There are
historic castles, Buckfast Abbey, picturesque thatched villages and more.
The area abounds with attractions for all the family. Woodlands
Leisure Park is very close to Higher Bowden and popular with many of our
guests. It offers a wide range of adventure playgrounds for all ages, water
rides, ballpools, animals, a falconry, and a huge indoor play centre along.
with frequent special events and entertainment days. More suggestions for
families with small children can be found on our Young
Families page. Older children might enjoy a visit to the Haunted
House at the Bowden House Photographic Museum, Babbacombe Model Village,
Buckfasleigh Butterfly and Otter Sanctuary, or Paignton Zoo.
Many sporting interests can be catered for in the local
Golf - Dartmouth Golf and Country Club (www.dgcc.co.uk) with its 27 holes of superb golf, offers a 25%
discount to Higher Bowden guests.
Horse Riding - either nearby at Slapton or, for a more adventurous day out, on
- Shilstone Rocks; Widecombe-in-the-moor 01364 621281
- Sherberton Stables, Hexworthy: 01364 631276
- Dittiscombe Equestrian Centre, Slapton: 01548 581049
- Park & Ride, Woodleigh, Nr. Kingsbridge: 01548 550178
- High house Stables, Bowcombe Road, Kingsbridge: 01548 853009
Fishing - many sorts of fishing are possible from day-long sea fishingtrips, or
shorter mackerel fishing trips at Brixham, to crabbing from the quay at
- Old Mill near Dartmouth: 01837 871565
- Burrator near Yelverton: 01822 855700
- Free wilderness trout fishing: Venford, near Ashburton map ref: LR202 685713; Avon Dam, South Brent map ref: LR191 560910
Wind-surfing and water sports: Available at various places including Slapton
Sands and Blackpool Sands
Boating - from yacht charters to cruises on the River Dart, or even a trip in a
12-seater open canoe.
- Cycle Routes: The famous rolling hills of Devon are particularly pronounced in South Devon; cycling can be quite demanding in places.
the following routes (pick up the route leaflets from the tourist office in Dartmouth) have been designed to minimise climbing, whilst offering an ideal way to explore the countryside on quiet country lanes, passing lots of delightful pubs, cafes
and village shops en route where you can take a breather
- Ivybridge to South Brent: 18 miles
- Kingsbridge Estuary: 15 miles
- Dart Valley: 18 miles
- Bovey Tracey: 8 miles
- Six strenuous off-road routes, distances from 6 miles/9km to 15 miles/25km
A 'Mountain Biking in the South Hams' pack is available from South Devon Coast and Countryside Service.
South Devon Coast and Countryside Service (Click on Out and About)
Email : email@example.com
Tel : 01803 861297/861149
- Dartmoor circuit : 90 miles!
- Other activities:
- Clay pigeon shooting, Archery, Paintball, Quad Biking and much more is available at Ashcombe
Adventure centre (www.ashcombeadventure.co.uk) which has been purpose built for all year round outdoor entertainment